Ideas Starting at $10 — 10 Days to Shop!
There’s a Verizon “Smart Store Plus” in my favorite Seattle shopping place—University Village. Think: Apple Store with a wide range of brands and products.
The fact that there are gobs of cool things there inspired me to put together this gift guide. You can find something for every geek on your list.
Prices were noted at the time the post was written. For specials, check this link. (Free shipping on all online orders—some items may be online only.)
1. Cases for every budget — starting at $9.99 — Do you need a case to simply protect from scuffs, or do you work in a profession where your phone takes a beating? Looking for designer bling, or do you need a “power safety net?” With myriad choices, here’s a tip: decide what’s important—brand, color, features, materials, budget—then search accordingly.
2. SanDisks — start at $12.99 — Everyone needs space! When a family member or friend finds one of these in their Christmas stocking, they’ll say, “Thanks for the Memory!” SanDisk offers a range from 32 to 128 GB. They’re useful and they make great stocking stuffers, too.
3. 4.8A vehicle Charger with Dual Output — (5★) $19.99 — Two is better than one, right? A vehicle charger with dual output means you can charge both your phone and tablet while you’re on the go! It has a charging indicator showing when it’s fully charged, and comes in six colors—white, blue, red, pink, black and yellow.
4. Verizon Gift Cards — From $25 — When you aren’t sure what that someone on your list wants, but you know they love tech— gift cards can be a great choice. They don’t expire, and are available for $25, $50, $75 or $100. The cards can be used online or in-store to buy things, or even be used to pay your Verizon bill.
5. Sol Republic Tracks Headphones — (5★) $29.98 – (70% off – reg. $99.98) — Right now Sol Republic Tracks Headphones are available online at a ridiculously inexpensive price. With convenient playback controls and phone compatibility, you’ll experience a great range of sound from base to treble. They’re highly rated and going fast!
6. Chromecast — $34.99 (4★) — Good things come in small packages. Chromecast is an inexpensive way to screencast—the ability to view content from your phone onto your television. It works with Android 2.3+, iOS 6.0+, Windows and Mac smartphones, tablets and laptops. Out of stock? The Belkin Miracast (4★) does the same thing at $59.99, and includes an HDMI and USB cables.
7. JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker — $39.99 — Do you need to buy a great gift for a music lover who is on the go? Super light, rugged and powerful, the Clip+ includes a carabiner to attach to your backpack or clothes. Fully charged, it will provide about 5 hours of play. It has a fun, compact design and comes in five colors: red, grey, blue, purple and black. Compatible with your phone.
8. Invisible Shield Privacy Glass for iPhone 6s and 6sPlus (4★) $44.99 — One of the icky things about screen protectors is, they can look smudgy. Invisible Shield’s tinted protective glass keeps prying eyes from viewing your screen via a two-way privacy filter. It also repels skin oils, so it’s easy to apply and keep clean. In fact, it’s so good that ZAGG will replace worn or damaged Invisible Shield glass for the life of your device. (Models available for other devices.)
9. Belkin Travel Rockstar — $59.99 — Turn one outlet into two. As a portable power pack, the Travel Rockstar uses a built-in battery to provide 3,000 mAh to your USB-enabled device. It’s a convenient way to give your smartphone or tablet a power boost while traveling for fun or pleasure, or even on your commute.
10. LG Tone Pro Bluetooth Stereo Headset — (4.5★) $59.99 Regularly $69.99 — Tone Pro has neck-behind, wireless bluetooth stereo headset with Harmon Kardon signature sound. It has a MEMS (MicroElectrical-Mechanical System) microphone, ensuring phone clarity. Enjoy up to 23 hours of standby; 16 hours of talk time; and up to 10.5 hours of music playback. Charge up to 100% in less than two hours.
11. Mophie Powerstation Plus 3x — (4★) $99.00 — Do you know a battery daredevil? One who lets their phone battery experience near death on a daily basis? iPhone or Android compatible and true to its name—this back up battery will fully recharge your smartphone 3 times. It seems like connectors vanish when you need them, but don’t worry with the Mophie Powerstation Plus — the connectors are built in.
12. Blue Ant Pump HD Audio Sport buds MINI — $99.00 — The Plantronics Fit bluetooth stereo headset looked good, but this Blue Ant option was recommended at $30 less. Pump HD’s sports-inspired, sweat-proof (IP54-rated) earbuds deliver powerful audio. It delivers up to six-hours of playtime on a quick, one-hour charge. There are three sizes of the ComfortSeal ear tips, and SuperFit Stabilizers ensure a great fit.
13. Fitbit Charge HR — (4★) Now $129.99 — Regularly $149.99 — This advanced tracking wristband provides your automatic, continuous heart rate and tracks your activity right on your wrist all day, during workouts and beyond. Log your meals, track your calories, and even evaluate your sleep — now $20 off.
14. Canary all-in-one home security system — (4★) Now $179.99 — Regularly $249.99 — This beautifully designed home security device seems to do everything. It’s easy to set up, too. The HD wide-angle camera lets you see, hear and stream, with the option to record and store. It also monitors air quality, temperature and humidity. The sleek design is unobtrusive and makes it look more like a speaker than a camera.
15. Philips Hue White & Color Ambiance Starter Kit — $199.99 — Ease into sleep; wake gently. Adjust the ambience, or make your home look occupied. Paint with light and change colors — all remotely controlled using your phone. Very nifty! The starter kit contains 3 wireless bulbs and is Apple Homekit and Nest Learning Thermostat-compatible.
16. UE Megaboom — (4.5★) Now $249.99 — Regularly $299.99 — BOOM is right! The volume and sound quality of this UE bluetooth speaker is unreal. The cylinder-shape projects sound in all directions, allowing you to hear music at high-volume without distortion. In 2014 I found few speakers that could pair with more than one speaker. UE Megaboom lets you pair up to 8 speakers! It comes in 4 colors: red, blue, purple and black.
17. Moto360 2nd Gen Smart Watch 46mm — (4★) $329.99 — Simply beautiful. Compatible with a huge range of devices, this elegant smart watch is handsome and affordable. Moto360 comes in two sizes (42mm and 46mm), and delivers notifications from your phone via bluetooth or wifi. It’s also a fitness tracker and responds to gestures and voice commands.
18. Moto X (2nd Gen) — (4★) $449.99** — The Moto X (2nd Gen) smartphone is beautifully designed and affordable. The 5.2-inch, 1080 HD display means visual content looks great, and its 13 MP camera can be activated with a twist of your wrist. It responds to voice commands and will even read text aloud. It has a metal frame, and you can choose genuine materials, like wood or leather, to fit your lifestyle.
19. Droid Turbo 2 Designed By You — (4★) $624** — Special Edition Star Wars: The Force Awakens Droid Turbo 2 is now available! I saw this device dropped from 8 feet onto a concrete slab. Not a scratch. It has the first shatterproof display and you can custom design your phone with than 1,000 combinations. It has a 5.9″1440 x 2560 display and whopping 21 MP camera! Works great with the Moto360 smart watch.
20. Galaxy S6 Edge Plus — (4.5★) $768** — There are myriad reasons why this device is one of Samsung’s flagship phones. I love mine! The beautiful 5.7″ Quad HD display (2560 x 1440) is stunning, making it an amazing entertainment device. The 16 MP camera shoots video in 4K. (Read more about it here.) The S6 Edge Plus works in more than 200 countries. Ready for a splurge? This is it!
Besides a huge array of phones, gadgets and accessories, the University Village Verizon Store offers tech support, workshops and demos.
The items on this list only scratch the surface. I hope you find some gifts to help you get your holiday shopping holi-done!
★ Ratings based on consumer feedback. New items are not rated.
* Qualcomm® Quick Charge 2.0 (5V/9V) device required.
** List price. Contract/monthly prices vary by device
Thanks to Jathan Lopez, Solutions Manager, and Specialist Calvin Li, both at the University Village Verizon Store, who contributed some of their favorites to my list.
Verizon Wireless has given me the opportunity to use some of their products.
More about Terri:
- Visit her store Alki Surf Shop
- Terri Nakamura on Twitter
- Alki Surf Shop on Twitter
- The Horsfall House on AirBNB
- More by Terri Nakamura
12 thoughts on “20 Great Gifts for Tech-Lovers”
Reblogged this on word696969.
Thanks for reblogging!
A very nice breakdown of gift ideas for the tech-lover in your life. Thanks Terri.
Michael, thanks a ton for reading and leaving a comment!
I’m thinking of buying the LG headphones as a gift for myself 🙂
Wishing you all the best and thanks again!
“Thanks for the Memory” — CLASSIC!! Fun read, I love how the price range starts as low as $9.99. Also SUPER cool to have advice from a true techie about what is actually good out there. I hope this becomes a regular offering.
You’re far too kind, and I’m grateful!
Thanks for reading and leaving such a nice response!
Your comment about making it a regular offering nearly caused an anxiety attack! It took a lot of time to put this list together!
Love ya lots, Tink
Great list of tech goods, Terri. I ‘d love Sol Republic Track Headphones and Chromcast myself.. Not good at tech myself, but it’s so exciting to see these goods! 😃
Thank you for reading and commenting! You are such a sweet friend. I really appreciate you!
The Sol Republic headphones are a really great deal, for sure! And I have been eyeing the Chromecast, too.
We’ve seriously reduced our cable account, working our way to “cutting the cord,” but we aren’t there yet!
Cheers and ((HUGS)),
Great post Terri – Lots of choices!
I certainly appreciated that you included items suited to all budgets.
The University Village Verizon Store sounds like a good place for both newbies and techies.
Thanks for the information.
Thank you SO MUCH for your comment! I’m honored you took time from your busy schedule to reply here!
I’ve been seeing a lot of “best this” and “best that,” lists, and most of the items are many hundreds of dollars. So I’m glad you liked the scope of items here!
The store is really wonderful. If you ever come to Seattle, time permitting on both sides, I would love to take you and JayC there!
((HUGS)) and Merry Christmas!
Thank you for the post wonderful information
Hello there, BoldWheels!
Huge thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment, especially this time of year when so many people have myriad things to do!
You’re very kind! Happy holidays to you!
Cheers, and thanks again, Terri